For the latest updates on UW–Madison plans and responses related to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit covid19.wisc.edu.
|Professor, Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery|
1933 Observatory Dr.
- BS 1999, University of Nebraska–Lincoln, Animal Science
- MS 2002, Michigan State University, Animal Science
- PhD 2006, Iowa State University, Meat Science
The food safety research I am involved in is directly related to applied meat industry type applications affecting the production of meat and poultry products. A few of the key areas of interest include alternative curing food safety, thermal processing food safety, shelf stability, and sodium reduction. My research includes a combination of quality and safety interests and implications technologies and ingredients have on affecting these elements.
- Smith NW, Sindelar JJ, Rankin SA 2019. Quantities of Adenylate Homologues (ATP+ADP+AMP) Change over Time in Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells. Journal of food protection 82((12)):2088-2093
- Osterbauer KJ, King AM, Seman DL, Milkowski AL, Glass KA, Sindelar JJ 2017. Effects of Nitrite and Erythorbate on Clostridium perfringens Growth during Extended Cooling of Cured Ham. J. Food Prot. 80(10):1697-1704
- Bedale W, Sindelar JJ, Milkowski AL 2016. Dietary nitrate and nitrite: Benefits, risks, and evolving perceptions. Meat Sci. 120:85-92
- Weyker RE, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Seman DL, Sindelar JJ 2016. Controlling Listeria monocytogenes and Leuconostoc mesenteroides in Uncured Deli-style Turkey Breast Using a Clean Label Antimicrobial. J. Food Sci. 81(3):M672-83
- King AM, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Seman DL, Sindelar JJ 2016. Modeling the Impact of Ingoing Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Ascorbate, and Residual Nitrite Concentrations on Growth Parameters of Listeria monocytogenes in Cooked, Cured Pork Sausage. J. Food Prot. 79(2):184-93
- King AM, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Sindelar JJ 2015. Comparison of the Effect of Curing Ingredients Derived from Purified and Natural Sources on Inhibition of Clostridium perfringens Outgrowth during Cooling of Deli-Style Turkey Breast. J. Food Prot. 78(8):1527-35
- Tilkens BL, King AM, Glass KA, Sindelar JJ 2015. Validating the Inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus in Shelf-Stable, Ready-to-Eat Snack Sausages with Varying Combinations of pH and Water Activity. J. Food Prot. 78(6):1215-20
- King AM, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Sindelar JJ 2015. Impact of Clean-Label Antimicrobials and Nitrite Derived from Natural Sources on the Outgrowth of Clostridium perfringens during Cooling of Deli-Style Turkey Breast. J. Food Prot. 78(5):946-53
- Golden MC, McDonnell LM, Sheehan V, Sindelar JJ, Glass KA 2014. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes in deli-style turkey breast formulated with cultured celery powder and/or cultured sugar-vinegar blend during storage at 4°c. J. Food Prot. 77(10):1787-93
- McDonnell LM, Glass KA, Sindelar JJ 2013. Identifying ingredients that delay outgrowth of Listeria monocytogenes in natural, organic, and clean-label ready-to-eat meat and poultry products. J. Food Prot. 76(8):1366-76
- View all Publications @ PubMed