|Adjunct Professor, Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery|
1933 Observatory Dr.
- BBS 1972, University of Illinois
- PhD 1976, University of Wisconsin–Madison; Biochemistry
Meat quality; Processed meat product quality measurement; Product and ingredient safety; Regulatory policy
Development of new ingredients, live animal research related to meat quality, product quality measurement, product safety, nutritional analysis and labeling, market research, legal claims for advertising, shelf life measurement, process development and optimization, statistical test design, time-temperature indicators, sensory evaluation, fat free products.
Prior to retirement in 2006 was responsible for food safety research programs at the Oscar Mayer Division of Kraft Foods.
- Osterbauer KJ, King AM, Seman DL, Milkowski AL, Glass KA, Sindelar JJ 2017. Effects of Nitrite and Erythorbate on Clostridium perfringens Growth during Extended Cooling of Cured Ham. J. Food Prot. 80(10):1697-1704
- Kanankege KST, Anklam KS, Fick CM, Kulow MJ, Kaspar CW, Ingham BH, Milkowski A, Döpfer D 2017. Evaluating the efficacy of beef slaughter line interventions by quantifying the six major non-O157 Shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli serogroups using real-time multiplex PCR. Food Microbiol. 63:228-238
- Jain R, Faith NG, Milkowski A, Nelson K, Busche D, Lynn DM, Czuprynski CJ, Abbott NL 2016. Using Chemoattractants to Lure Bacteria to Contact-Killing Surfaces. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 55(19):5698-702
- Bedale W, Sindelar JJ, Milkowski AL 2016. Dietary nitrate and nitrite: Benefits, risks, and evolving perceptions. Meat Sci. 120:85-92
- Weyker RE, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Seman DL, Sindelar JJ 2016. Controlling Listeria monocytogenes and Leuconostoc mesenteroides in Uncured Deli-style Turkey Breast Using a Clean Label Antimicrobial. J. Food Sci. 81(3):M672-83
- King AM, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Seman DL, Sindelar JJ 2016. Modeling the Impact of Ingoing Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Ascorbate, and Residual Nitrite Concentrations on Growth Parameters of Listeria monocytogenes in Cooked, Cured Pork Sausage. J. Food Prot. 79(2):184-93
- King AM, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Sindelar JJ 2015. Comparison of the Effect of Curing Ingredients Derived from Purified and Natural Sources on Inhibition of Clostridium perfringens Outgrowth during Cooling of Deli-Style Turkey Breast. J. Food Prot. 78(8):1527-35
- King AM, Glass KA, Milkowski AL, Sindelar JJ 2015. Impact of Clean-Label Antimicrobials and Nitrite Derived from Natural Sources on the Outgrowth of Clostridium perfringens during Cooling of Deli-Style Turkey Breast. J. Food Prot. 78(5):946-53
- Dragsted LO, Alexander J, Amdam G, Bryan N, Chen D, Haug A, Karlsson AH, de Kok T, Kulseng BE, Martin RJ, Milkowski A, Pajari AM, Pickowa J, Rudi K, Sødring MS, Oostindjer M, Egelandsdal B 2014. Letter to the editor: Colorectal cancer risk and association with red meat--is it inconsistent? Answer to the letter by Corpet, De Smet and Demeyer. Meat Sci. 98(4):792-4
- Oostindjer M, Alexander J, Amdam GV, Andersen G, Bryan NS, Chen D, Corpet DE, De Smet S, Dragsted LO, Haug A, Karlsson AH, Kleter G, de Kok TM, Kulseng B, Milkowski AL, Martin RJ, Pajari AM, Paulsen JE, Pickova J, Rudi K, Sødring M, Weed DL, Egelandsdal B 2014. The role of red and processed meat in colorectal cancer development: a perspective. Meat Sci. 97(4):583-96
- View all Publications @ PubMed