Core Executive Committee, Food Research Institute
Meat Science and Muscle Biology Lab
Meat quality; Processed meat product quality measurement; Product and ingredient safety; Regulatory policy
- BBS 1972, University of Illinois
- PhD 1976, University of Wisconsin–Madison; Biochemistry
Development of new ingredients, live animal research related to meat quality, product quality measurement, product safety, nutritional analysis and labeling, market research, legal claims for advertising, shelf life measurement, process development and optimization, statistical test design, time-temperature indicators, sensory evaluation, fat free products.
Prior to retirement in 2006 was responsible for food safety research programs at the Oscar Mayer Division of Kraft Foods.
- University of Wisconsin–Madison Expert for News Media (meat processing, foodborne illness, diet and health)
- Institute of Food Technologists; American Meat Science Association; International Association for Food Proection
- “Regulatory and Safety History of Nitrite and Nitrate in Foods.” Canadian Nutrition Society and Norwegian Academy of Sciences, 2013.
- “Challenges in Understanding Diet and Chronic Disease Relationships.” Food Research Institute Annual Meeting, May 22, 2012, Madison, WI.
- 2012, FRI interactive training webinar: Calculating Thermal Inactivation of Pathogens.
- 2012, Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, Regulatory and Safety History of Nitrite and Nitrate in Foods.
- “Technical Challenges and Strategies to Achieve Reduced Sodium Goals: Meat.” Food Research Institute Annual Meeting, May 18, 2010, Madison, WI.
- 2010, American Meat Science Association — Reciprocal Meat Conference, Epidemiology 101: Nutritional Epidemiology Methods and Interpretation Criteria.
- 2007, Meat Industry Research Conference — Epidemiological Causation Criteria.
- 2006, Invited lecture at Russian Meat Research Institute, Moscow — Use of lactate and diacetate salts to improve the safety of RTE cured processed meat products.
- 2006, Meat Industry Research Conference — Fight for the Cure: Sodium Nitrite Status Report.
- 2003, Meat Industry Research Conference — A Second Generation Application of Lactate and Diacetate.
- 2002, American Meat Institute National Convention — Use of Lactate/Diacetate for inhibiting the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in RTE meats.
- 2002, National Committee for Microbiological Criteria for Food — Use of Lactate/Diacetate for inhibiting the growth of Listeria monocytogenes in RTE meats.